In celebration of Bike Month in May, SANDAG has awarded 20 grants to organizations around the San Diego region to fund events that encourage biking.
The GO by BIKE Mini-Grants, issued by the SANDAG iCommute program, will fund free community events that include a variety of bike rides, a guided bike tour, bike rodeos, a bike scavenger hunt, bike-in movies, and bike education, safety and maintenance.
These grants support the ongoing effort by SANDAG to encourage people to GO by BIKE, maintain an active lifestyle, and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. With more than 1,570 miles of bikeways, the San Diego region is one of the best places in the country for people to GO by BIKE.
For more than 20 years, SANDAG has hosted the region’s most popular Bike Month event, SANDAG Bike to Work Day. This year, the event will be held on Thursday, May 16.
Registered participants for the 29th Annual SANDAG Bike to Work Day are encouraged to join thousands of commuters from 6 to 9 a.m. and to stop at one of 100 pit stops countywide to pick up a free t-shirt, snacks, and encouragement.
Upcoming 2019 GO by BIKE Mini-Grant events:
- Saturday, April 6: City of Chula Vista – Community bike ride and bike rodeo at South Bay Earth Day
- Location: Memorial Park, 373 Park Way, Chula Vista, CA 91910
- Time: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Friday, April 12: Bike SD – Family Cargo Bike Carnival and ride
- Location: Waterfront Park
- Time: 3 – 6 p.m.
- Saturday, April 12: City of El Cajon Recreation Department – Excited About Biking in El Cajon
- Location: Kennedy Recreation Center, 1675 E. Madison Ave., El Cajon 92020
- Time: 9 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 16 through Bike to Work Day: North Main Street Association – Bike to business and win during Bike Month
- Saturday, April 20: City Heights CDC – Mid-City community ride of new and planned bikeways
- Location: Teralta Park, San Diego, CA 92105
- Time: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Saturday, April 27: City of La Mesa – Pedal for the Planet Trail Ride
- Location: Harry Griffen Park, 9550 Milden St., La Mesa 91942
- Time: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Saturday April 27: San Diego Bicycle Club – Children’s bike helmet giveaway and bike safety rodeo at the Barrio Logan Grand Prix
- Location: 1809 National Ave., San Diego, CA 92113
- Time: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Sunday, April 28, May 12, and June 2: City of Encinitas – Bike safety demonstration at the Leucadia Farmer’s Market
- Location: 185 Union Street, Encinitas, CA 92024
- Thursday, May 2: San Diego County Bicycle Coalition – Bike Month kickoff celebration and ride in Downtown San Diego
- Friday, May 3: Outdoor Outreach – Teen bike ride to Bayshore Bikeway
- Friday, May 10: beautifulPB – Walk and Roll to School Day
- Location: Pacific Beach Schools
- Saturday, May 11: The Ecology Center – Free bike repair workshop
- Location: 441 Quail Gardens Dr., Encinitas, CA 92024
- Saturday, May 11: The San Diego River Park Foundation – Mountain biking skills course
- Location: 8125 Arlette St., Santee, CA 92071
- Time: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Friday, May 17: City of Coronado – Coronado Bikes to the Movies, showcasing Mary Poppins Returns
- Location: Coronado Tidelands Park, 2000 Mullinex Drive, Coronado, CA, 92118
- Saturday, May 18: Kiwanis Club of Southeastern San Diego – The Empire Bikes Back bike rodeo
- Location: Morse High School, 6905 Skyline Dr., San Diego 92114
- Saturday, May 18: Clairemont Town Council Foundation – Bike safety rodeo
- Saturday, May 18 and Sunday, May 19: Bikes del Pueblo – City Heights bike handling class and spring skirt ride
- Location: 4050 El Cajon Blvd., San Diego 92105
- Time: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Sunday, May 19: University Heights Community Association – Bike-in movie at Trolley Barn Park
- Location: 1943 Adams Avenue, San Diego, CA 92116
- Sunday, May 19: The San Diego River Park Foundation – River Trail group bike ride
- Location: 5156 W Point Loma Blvd., San Diego, CA 92107
- Time: 9 to 11 a.m.
- Saturday, May 25: The Urban Collaborative Project – Bike to Art festival in Chicano Park
- Location: National Avenue and S Evans Street, San Diego, CA 92101
- Time: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- TBD: City of Coronado – Bike-in movie
- TBD: Indian Health Council – Family bike safety awareness event
See more event details or the full list of 2019 Go by BIKE Mini-Grant program recipients.
For more information about the SANDAG GO by BIKE Mini-Grants or the 29th Annual SANDAG Bike to Work Day, visit 511sd.com/iCommute or call 511 and say “iCommute.”
About iCommute: Powered by SANDAG and in cooperation with the 511 transportation information service, iCommute is the Transportation Demand Management (TDM) program for the San Diego region. iCommute encourages use of transportation alternatives to help reduce traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions.
About SANDAG: The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is the San Diego region’s primary public planning, transportation, and research agency, providing the public forum for regional policy decisions about growth, transportation planning and construction, environmental management, housing, open space, energy, public safety, and binational topics. SANDAG is governed by a Board of Directors composed of mayors, council members, and supervisors from each of the region’s 18 cities and the county government.